I can finally mark something off my bucket list – I’ve been to Dragon*Con!

Since my boss has this rule about taking the day off before and after a holiday, I had to work a half-day on the Friday before Labor Day before rushing home and loading up the car for the nearly eight hour drive. There was a showing of the Evil Dead trilogy starting at midnight that I desperately wanted to see, but I had to get my badge to get in and registration closed at ten. We pulled into the neighborhood at nine-fifty-three. My fearless driver Mother Dearest dropped me off at the corner since traffic was so heavy and I hurried to the hotel – everyone I asked said the same thing “It’s just down the hall but you’d better run.” So I did.

I am a terrible runner and by the time I reached the door I was panting and red-faced – I literally threw myself at the door as they were closing it and begged (while panting) for them to let me in. Apparently I looked pathetic enough that they let me in – I hugged everyone I could get my arms on; the door ladies, the actual volunteer who printed up my badge, and another con-goer who just happened to get there a couple of minutes before me. (I was very happy.)

After walking around and getting a bit lost because I was gawking at all the cosplayers, I found the Hyatt and had time before Evil Dead began, so I decided to stand in line for a session of the film festival. There was a showing of short horror films, all very good, and then I wandered down to the basement where they put the “main video room” and found a seat.

I am now of the opinion that the best way to see such movies as the Evil Dead series is in a dark room with a bunch of film geeks making snarky comments during the film. It was one of the best times I’ve ever had.

MD was supposed to pick me up after Army of Darkness but there was a bit of  … confusion regarding where I was supposed to be; I told her I was on Peachtree Street and she was on the the other side of the hotel on Peachtree Center Street. Words were said and I crossed through the hotel to the other side. The lobby, which had been packed at one AM, was nearly vacant three hours later and the roads were empty. We went back to the hotel to grab a few hours sleep before MD dropped me off back at the con later that day.

Tomorrow – Saturday!